Fall 2006 
COW CREEK HISTORICAL SOCIETY
NEWSLETTER - Fall 2006
The response to the historical society’s first newsletter was overwhelming and we thank all those who decided to join with us in the restoration of the Springer-Martin House. It’s comforting to know that the majority of Cow Creek valley residents - and those from surrounding areas - feel as we do about the need for a museum for the local artifacts and other treasurers from the past. When the Old House is completed, not only will it be a museum, but a library complete with genealogical records, pictures, articles of history, reference books, census records and over 600 HUNDRED “name files from the past.
As people learn of our goals, we are receiving more and more artifacts, articles and pictures to be placed in the Old House library. One example: the metal plate with the year 1920 - which states: “COW CREEK BRIDGE - Oregon State Highway Commission - Union Bridge Company, Contractors.” That plate was affixed to the State Highway Bridge built over Cow Creek for what was then called Pacific Highway. (Now Junction Road - and the present metal bridge has a private memorial sign for Harold Cooley.) The 1920 plate was found in a gravel bar below the railroad bridge going to the mill on Reuben Road, apparently washed up after all those years, by high water.
Another example is the recent donation of some old postcards - pictures of the Lystul-Lawson mill and its’ surrounding mill houses and cookhouse. M those were sent to Glendale postmistress, Judi Bayne, trusting that she would see them properly placed - which she did!
As of this writing, two more grant requests are in the works and if either one - or both- should be successful, there will soon be heat in our Old House and the 14 rooms inside can be finished. We lost out on a Meyer grant but received one from the Kinsman Foundation which allowed the outside of the house to be hand-sanded (due to the age of the wood) and painted. The house is now protected from more winter “wear”.
Meantime, we continue with our fund-raising efforts: had a very successful Sunday BBQ in September - so successful that we ran out of food! We prepared for over 250 people and fed nearly 300. There was a performance by the community choir, a pork auction, door prize drawings and the Old House was open for viewing. When our first newsletter was done last spring, we had over $150,000 into the Old House and as of now, that total has climbed to $197,000. While it is great to receive grant money from the different funders, we can’t just “sit around” waiting for that to happen. We MUST keep working toward our goal.
The Board of Directors meet at 10 a.m. on the second Wednesday of every month at the home of Nolan and Nadine Tanner on Quines Creek Road. We invite members to join us at those meetings. We have two scheduled GENERAL PUBLIC MEETINGS - the 14th of February, 2007 and the 8th of August, 2007. Those meetings will be held at the City Hall’s public meeting room and everyone is welcome to ask questions, input comments and learn what progress has been made and what is planned next for the Old House. We urge people to attend any or all of our meetings - and we welcome any “hands willing to help” with fund raisers. Until the Old House has heat, we will continue to have Board meetings at the Tanner’s - and general public meetings at Glendale’s City Hall. Once heated, the Old House will then be used for ALL meetings.
THE FOLLOWING is some history and records of the Springer family, builders of the Old House. Information has been provided by Nolan and Nadine Tanner and records of the Glendale Memorial Cemetery
SPRINGER FAMILY HISTORY

John George Springer was born in Rheinkeis Beuren, Germany, in 1813. It was called Bavaria at that time. John, an only son, immigrated to the United States in 1835 and settled in Sharpsburg (now Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania. Before coming to the U.S. he was a cobbler by trade and once here, continued to make shoes to order.
Mary Kresser was born in Soabrucken Rheinpreisen, Germany (formerly Prussia) in 1815. She immigrated to the United States in 1837 and worked as a governess for the children of a wealthy family in Sharpsburg. John Springer and Mary Kresser were married March 25, 1838, in Pottsville County, Pennsylvania and all nine of their children were born in Sharpsburg. The Springers shared a two-family house with the H. J. Heinz family - the same Heinz who founded the original Heinz pickle factory.
One of the older Springer sons, William, moved to Kansas and after touting that area to his father, John Springer sold his cobbler business and his half in the dual house in early 1868 and moved his wife, five sons and one daughter to Kansas City by train, then to Manhattan, Kansas by boat. John purchased a stone house and 160 acres on Carnahan Creek for $1,000 - a small fortune at that time - and set about the business of raising cattle. The family became prosperous cattlemen who sent railroad car loads of cattle to market each year.
Rudolph (Rude) Springer (birth year - 1855) married Annie Metz (birth year 1855), daughter of Peter and Mary Metz and they moved to Oregon in 1901, bringing with them their daughter Mary Ann and son Clarence. Land records show that Annie Springer purchased 640 acres from the Wilson family and later purchased another 320 acres and built the two-family dwelling in 1903, which is now known as the Springer-Martin House. Rudolph and Annie lived in one side of the house and their son Clarence (born 1881) and his wife, Lulah (Johnson) Springer (born Nov 1879), lived in the other side. Clarence and Lulah had two daughters - Zella Hazle (born 1902) and Gladys May (born 1904). Both girls married but had no children.
After Annie’s death in 1910, the ranch was sold and Rudolph moved to the upper Cow Creek area and lived with Clarence and his family until his death March 16, 1940. Clarence died in 1949 and Lulah died in 1972 and all are buried in the Glendale Memorial Cemetery.
Rudolph and Annie’s daughter, Mary Ann (born 1888), married Herald Hasting Wilson in 1912. Herald, for a time, had a meat market in Glendale and did some logging. They had two daughters: Glenora Mary, born 1914, and Rozella Gladys, born 1918. Herald and Mary Ann divorced when the girls were in their teens. Rozella married Jake Pruitt and they later divorced after which time she married George Weber in 1968. Rozella had no children.
Glenora married Henry Tanner and they had two sons: Harold Henry and Nolan Franklin. Harold, born 1936, is married to Nellie Ettien Barton Opperman and there are no children. Nolan, born 1938, is married to Nadine Thompson and they have two children and grandchildren. Nolan and Nadine are Board members of the historical society and very active at the restoration of the Old House.

In the next newsletter, we will profile the Martin family who purchased the house and acreage in 1940 and owned all until 1999.
There are many stories of the pioneers in the Cow Creek valley. We plan to feature different ones in newsletters. If YOU have family history you would like preserved, contact the historical society and we will provide you with genealogical forms and answer any questions you may have about putting it together. You name(s) will then be added to our “name files”.
Just remember - 50 YEARS FROM NOW - YOU will be part of this valley’s history. Contact the Cow Creek Historical Society (CCHS) at Post Office Box 309, Glendale, Oregon, 97442. We look forward to hearing from you..........................................