NEWSLETTER - Spring 2008 
COW CREEK HISTORICAL SOCIETY
SPRING - 2008

Had to LAUGH when typing this heading - “Spring”??? At this moment, it’s snowing and there’s about 2 inches on the ground - April 21st. Old records have recorded snow on June 4th - and one board member recalls a “dusting” on the 4th of July. This is not so unusual, but it HAS been a long winter.

CCHS is now within $146 of that $15,000 Murdock matching grant. On April 12th, a Luncheon/Fashion Show helped put us that close to our goal. The event, held at the Azalea Grange, was the brain child of Betty Fisher and Jennene Johns and those two ladies worked hard to make it an outstanding success. Gottschalks furnished clothes for 20 local models (young children to Senior citizens) plus bringing a make-up artist.

COMING EVENTS OF INTEREST: on June 28th there will be a flea market/craft sale at the Old House and grounds, exclusively for restoration funds. It’s a one day event; hours will be posted around the community prior to that date. If anyone has anything to “donate to the cause” please contact Betty Fisher, Nadine Tanner or Lynne Diltz.

HISTORIC COW CREEK VALLEY.....Looking Back - Part II

1889 - Big snow of ‘90 starts the day before Christmas. Snow fell continually for 52 days, leaving 5 to 7 ½ feet (depending on which reference you read!) in the town itself and more in the surrounding mountains. The weather then turned warm and the snow began to melt so fast, the ground became soggy and there was high water and flooding. A monstrous landslide covered the railroad tracks and dammed up Cow Creek near West Fork below Glendale, for many days. Reportedly several Chinese workers perished in the slide and that unstable area of the mountain became known as Chinamen’s Slide. Nothing could get through except people on foot, by climbing high on the canyon wall above the slide and mud area. The railroad would send a train as far as possible, people would get out and walk (or for a small fee, be carried in a sedan chair by Chinese men)to a train waiting on the opposite side of the slide area. Mail for Glendale was routed down the coast by boat and put on a train in California. Trains came through Redding to Grants Pass where the mail was transferred to stagecoach, then into Glendale.

1900 - decade brings building boom to Glendale and lots of business activity; one of the key figures of this decade was H.G. Sonnemann, who built the Glendale Auditorium in 1907 (now Ultimate Poly Products building) and the house across the street. Later he became the Oregon House Representative for the area. Later moved to Portland and managed a hotel until he retired and moved to Los Angeles.

1901 - D.N. Snyder purchased Sol Abraham’s sawmill and created the Glendale Lumber Company. He and partner M. D. Zwight moved the mill up Windy Creek and the settlement of Fernvale was formed. Lumber was flumed back to the railroad yard in Glendale.
*Olivet Presbyterian Church was established this year
*Glendale was incorporated as a city

1902 - Population of Douglas County was 15,000, with 13 school districts and 175 teachers.
*first newspaper established - THE GLENDALE NEWS, published by H.W. Hobert

1905 - July - first automobile seen in Glendale, passing through to San Francisco
(THAT must have been SOME TRIP)

1906 - first telephone service in Glendale, owned and installed by I.H. Smith
*Lystul-Lawson sawmill established by Oregon-Idaho Lumber Company. Output was
50,000 plus board feet, employing 50 men

1907 - First electricity in Glendale. Prior to that time, there was a steam powered generator owned by the lumber company, with a single line fastened to trees, going down the Windy Creek valley from Fernvale, and supplied the few houses close to the line, with enough power for dim house lighting. This line, contrary to some written history, did not go all the way into the town of Glendale.
*Glendale Auditorium is completed, used for stage plays, a skating rink and for every imaginable public gathering. In later years used for a time as temporary school class rooms

1908 - failed attempt at bombing the Glendale Auditorium. Perpetrators were never caught

1912 - Thomas Towns builds the Azalea General Store - first known as the Canyon Pass Hotel - a welcome site for those having just traveled south from Canyonville, through the treacherous canyon

1914 - the Azalea post office is established
*Dr. George Knott arrives in town to take over the town practice - and stays seven years, leaving us rich memories of a bygone era. The Glendale Sanatorium
(Hospital) becomes operational on the corner of 7th and Willis.
*Glendale gets an Indian Motorcycle dealership

1915 - Glendale starts prohibition early, becoming a “dry” town by local vote
*Roy Farnham murder of a 15 year old pregnant girl: trial shocks the locals

1919 - the luxurious Clarke Hotel, located just across the tracks from the railroad depot, burns to the ground

1920 - Pacific Highway pavement is completed through the valley. (CCHS has the plaque from the first highway bridge over Cow Creek)

1921 - Dr. Knott leaves Glendale for a different and less isolated practice in Independence, Oregon. The Glendale Hospital soon closes, becoming the Eldon Hotel, and later the Hamilton Hotel and after that, a private residence, until its destruction in 1969

1922 - an earthquake rocks the town but with no major damage

1923 - Glendale State Bank is robbed and main street is “shot up”

1924 - David N. Snyder, one of the founders of the Glendale Lumber Company, died January 23rd, at age 73. He came to Glendale in 1901. His mill later became Ingham Lumber, then Robert Dollar Company, then Gregory Forest Products, before being purchased by Superior Lumber Company of present day.
*in May, a new drug store was proposed, called Marshall Drug, with A.G. Clarke as President. (Son of Katherine Clarke who owned the Clarke Hotel. A stock certificate for that company still exists with the local historical society.)
*In September, Sidney Jacques started a service station across the Cow Creek bridge on Pacific Highway. Paving was to begin on the section of road from Glendale town to the highway at Glendale Junction.

DUE TO THE LENGTH of the document “..Looking Back..” - it will be continued, and completed in the fall newsletter.

If you have any questions or comments, you may call or write to the numbers and address below. If you aren’t already a member and would like to join our group, simply fill out the enclosed form and mail it to us.

CCHS - Post Office Box 309, Glendale, Oregon - 97442

Phones: 832-2819 or 837-3446


HAVE A GREAT DAY - !