INFORMATIONAL NEWSLETTER - August, 2008  
COW CREEK HISTORICAL SOCIETY
INFORMATIONAL NEWSLETTER
August, 2008

It’s been suggested that we no longer call this a “newsletter” but instead, refer to it as an “informational mailing”, hence the above reference to an INFORMATIONAL NEWSLETTER - ! (Is that proper??) These mailings combine both information AND news of our Old House and coming events. Enclosed with this will be the advertising of our annual September Sunday BBQ.
FIRST OFF - the BATS are back - ! And just recently, we learned that they are not the common, ordinary bat - but instead, a rare and ENDANGERED, long-eared Townsend’s bat and on the “list” of PROTECTED specie. (Can you already see what’s in store for CCHS??? Ah, yes, dollars, dollars, dollars.) Members of the Board of Directors have learned more about these little critters than we really wanted to know - like the fact that the attic of our Old House is, in reality, a BAT NURSERY. And for those who don’t know - babies are born in early spring and remain in that ‘nursery’ until about the first of August, when they are taken out into their world, learn the boundaries and how to catch their food, etc. After the first frost, the whole darned colony moves BACK into the ‘nursery’ and remain there until spring when the cycle starts all over again - !!!
As the “bat relocator”, who works with the State Fish and Game Commission, walked around the outside of the Old House, he pointed out all the places where bats can enter. To our astonishment, the whole darned place is ‘honey-combed’ - you could say we have a BAT FREEWAY in and out of the upper reaches of the house. First step is to barricade all those “freeways” and once that is accomplished, any bats inside will be trapped and relocated.
And by the way, the “relocator” said in his 18 years of doing this type of work, this is only the SECOND time he has seen a long-eared, Townsend’s bat.
So - another road block has popped up (or maybe FLOWN IN??) in the way of finishing the inside of the Old House. All inside work halts until the bat problem is solved. Again.

WE ARE SAD to report the loss of one of our founding members, Nolan Tanner, who lost his
battle with cancer on 12 July 2008. Nolan was a descendent of the Springer family who built the
Old House. He was born on his parents’ ranch up Quines Creek and still resided on a portion of
that ranch property. Nolan was a valuable asset to the historical society and will be greatly
missed.

As promised, the third and final portion of HISTORIC COW CREEK VALLEY...Looking Back....

1925 - In January, T.B. Johns died at age 80. He had purchased the Hardy Elliff place in 1894.
*In July, William Paisley was killed by a train near the Lystul-Lawson siding (where McCullough Creek and
Reuben Road meet)
*November - John Bartle, age 14, narrowly escaped death when he grabbed a 220v electric wire while playing on the 4-mile long lumber flume between Fernvale and Glendale. He fell to the ground but suffered only severe burns on his hands.
1926 - A single lane, paved road from Pacific Highway to Glendale, is completed.
*Work on the new $55,000 school is progressing well. This building, which opened in the fall of 1926, served
students until torn down in 1975 when the current elementary school began service in 1977. This white,
two-story building was a landmark in Glendale for nearly 50 years.
1928 - April - work is started on an airfield near Glendale on the C. O. Garrett ranch. It will be 300' x 1800'. $200 will
be spent. C.O. Garrett and son Wilton, will build the fence and Frank Hill will level.
*July 10th - fanned by strong, hot winds, a fire rages through downtown, destroying 2 ½ blocks, 23 businesses
and 11 homes, all in just 45 minutes. Estimated loss was $300,000 and the fire changed the face of
downtown, forever. Brick and concrete replaced the old wooden shops, many of which dated back to
the 1880's. The fire was said to have started in the meat market where lard was being rendered.
1929 - Eleven sawmills, daily output more than 200,000 board feet, employing 400 men. Payroll was $35,000 monthly.
1932 - Azalea Grange established near Quines Creek.
1934 - Fir Point Bible Camp established up Windy Creek by Rev. J. K. Howard of the Olivet
Presbyterian Church.
1935 - Modern dial equipment for phones is installed on Glendale’s phone system.
*July - M. D. Zwight, former owner of the Glendale Lumber Company, died. He was born in 1859.
*July - Glendale Public Library opens with 300 books, many donated by local residents.
1937 - On April 1st, the Presbyterian Church burned. It was rebuilt and relocated on Pacific Avenue. The old church
was built in 1900-01, on the corner of Willis and 4th.
*In August, the last of the pioneers, William “Gent” Redfield, died. This long-time resident was born in the
valley in 1854.
*On Aug 26th, Ingham Lumber burns, causing $200,000 in damages. The fire glow could be seen from Riddle
and Grants Pass.
1938 - Glendale’s newest business, Eberle Stearns Mortuary, opens in the former Luthern Church (now a residence
across from the abandoned Glendale Gas station)
1941 - In January, the Baptist Church begins meetings in the Glendale Hotel.
*In August, four airplane observation posts were set up in the valley to watch for the enemy planes of WWII.
*In October, a blackout was arranged by the Defense Council for the community.
1942 - The Glendale Log, a weekly newspaper, ceases production, ending a long period of continuous coverage
for the valley.
1949 - “Temporary” long school building, known because of its design, as the “Chicken Coop”, was built by
Day and Mehl, to alleviate over-crowding.
1950 - Glendale’s population peaks at 871.
1952-53 - Multnomah Plywood builds green veneer plant on Robert Dollar leased land. They brought logs in by
railroad gondola cars from West Fork siding. Multnomah built the first road system up the West Fork
of Cow Creek, to access their property.
1954-55 - A new high school is constructed on the former Dan Clare property - in “old timey” years, known as the
Valley Queen Ranch, pioneered by one of the Redfield family.
1955 - Passenger train service ceases in Glendale, ending 72 years of transportation for locals.
*The Dollar Company buys out Multnomah’s lease. Dollar’s log consumption at the sawmill and veneer plant
was 100 million board feet per year from the time they bought Multnomah until 1960 when they shut
down their sawmill. Dollar and Patterson cut up Robert Dollar logs that can’t be peeled, at the Hayward
Mill over by Windy Creek.
1960 - Glendale has 748 inhabitants, according to the latest census.
*Hayward Mill caught fire in July and burned to the ground. After the fire, Dollar and Patterson leased
Robert Dollar’s old mill and ran it to cut up sawlogs.
1962 - The October Columbus Day storm causes much damage in the valley, due to high winds.
*Robert Dollar Company buys out the Dollar and Patterson lease of the old mill.
1963 - Robert Dollar Company builds the plywood plant with the assistance and expertise of Bate Plywood in Merlin.
It was named the Glendale Plywood.
1964 - Loss of several historic structures in the Azalea area include the Mynatt pioneer house (circa 1860) and the
Gilham School (circa 1897).
*Christmas flood causes local damage - severe in Roseburg.
1966 - Interstate 5 is completed through the valley.
1969 - 3 feet of snow fell in Glendale this winter
1970 - Latest census has Glendale at 709
1972 - The Glendale cut-off road, called the Glendale Valley Road, is complete to the freeway. This cut the Sether ranch in half.
*This winter had another 3 feet of snow.
1973 - The Robert Dollar Company purchased Lakeside Veneer Plant in Klamath Falls and moved some of their
plywood people from Glendale to Klamath Falls.


1974 - In January, a catastrophic flood causes ONE MILLION dollars damage in the area and destroys 2 bridges across
Cow Creek. Several gas line workers are killed just south of Canyonville, in a massive mud slide caused by the
heavy rains.
1975 - Christmas vacation fire destroys the high school. Junior High and Library were saved. High School replaced by
current structure in 1976.
1977 - New grade school replaces the 1926 white pillared landmark.
1980 - This decade started out hard on Glendale as the economy floundered and the lumber industry suffered a slump.
Local mills closed several times for an extended period, with the loss of many jobs. At the end of the decade, with the closing of Gregory Forest Products, several hundred jobs were lost. Many were rehired to the new Superior Lumber operations.
1981 - Local residents save the old Southern Pacific depot which is moved to its current location on Hamilton Heights.
*Winter snow of nearly 3 feet.
*Robert Dollar Company is sold and broken up; timberlands went to Boise Cascade Corporation and the mills,
including the one at Klamath Falls, were bought by Bill Gregory, directly from Dollar. A Canadian
company, DAON, bought the San Francisco buildings of Dollar and helped line up buyers for the mills
and timberlands.
1985 - Galesville Dam is completed, dedicated by Sen Mark Hatfield and the reservoir begins filling,.
1986 - The old Catholic Church building (circa 1910) was razed to make way for a new church - different denomination -
on Gilbert Street.
1990 - Glendale slumps again to 707 population within city limits. The old green steel bridge leading from town to the
high school is torn down and replaced by the current concrete structure.
*temperatures in February hover near zero for 3 days, the coldest in many years.
1991 - In November, Superior Lumber consummates a deal for the purchase of Gregory Forest Products (formerly the
Dollar Company), consolidating both the towns’ lumber mills.
*US District Judge William Dwyer of Seattle, shuts down logging with an injunction on nearly 2.5 million acres
of Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management (BLM) property because of the spotted owl and
other “endangered” species.
1993 - an August earthquake in Klamath Falls and aftershocks, rattle houses in this valley but no reported damage.
1994 - Judge Dwyer lifts injunction after completion of Northwest Forest Plan which surveys and protects 77 species
of rare plants and wildlife. The results of which were disastrous for the timber industry.
*On Dec 31st, the Central Oregon and Pacific Railroad (CORP) assumes control of Southern Pacific’s Siskiyou
line from Eugene to Black Butte, California, near Weed.
1995 - In December, longtime resident, (1920) Laura Raess Johnson Tanchek died. With her went a wealth of
information and memories of the past 75 years in Glendale.
1998 - The Springer-Martin House (1902-03) and barn property are donated to a newly formed historic group, intent
on restoring the properties as a museum.
1999 - The city of Glendale secures grants and loans to reconstruct their water treatment facilities.
*In August, Judge Dwyer stops timber sales again, on numerous parcels of federal land after ruling the Northwest
Forest Plan was not adequately being followed.
*Cow Creek bridge unofficially renamed “Harold Cooley Memorial Bridge” to honor long-time resident.
2000 - A group calling itself the Glendale Alumni Association spends months gathering addresses of former students
of the Glendale school system and holds a “Y2K” reunion that is attended by 750 people. The oldest was 93 and
graduated in 1925 and the youngest, at 14, was a freshman now in high school. Another all-class reunion is
scheduled for 2003.
*Glendale’s population, according to the 2000 census, is 860.
2001 - During the night of January 1st, arsonists with the environmental group, Earth Liberation Front (ELF), set fire to
Superior Lumber Company’s office complex, causing approximately $800,000 in damages. Personnel report
the following day to conduct “business as usual”. FBI is investigating....

AND SO ENDS the article of historic events. Of course as the years progress, more will be added, such as the capture and punishment of members of ELF, for the Superior fire - just one of many “environmental terrorist” acts committed by that group. Can you add events to the valley’s history? Contact CCHS.......